Copyright © Jam & Ang
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Labor Day Weekend-ER

We had a fantastic Labor Day weekend at the Amey cabin. It was the first official road trip and cabin trip with the new Forester, too. We decided to get up early and make the drive Saturday, which worked out really well because we didn't hit any traffic and made great time.
After we got settled, Don took us out fishing on Loon Lake. The weather was excellent, the lake wasn't crowded, and Angie had the first fish in the boat right away. Shortly after that, she had another bass on the line that put up quite a fight. She managed to reel 'em in, and it turned out a to be the biggest fish she'd ever caught. I was pretty excited, considering she caught it on a Ultra-Light rod with 4lb line and artificial bait. We spent some more time trolling, and both Don and I caught a few more bass. I also had a big Northern on the line (which we a had visual on) but he got off before I could reel him in. Overall, a very fun and productive day on the water.
Later that evening, we were treated to a Pontoon ride courtesy of Terri and Rick. We had a few cocktails and relaxed as we cruised, it was very relaxing. On the way back home in the car, Don and I decided it would be fun to stick our heads out of the sun roof. It turns out, you should probably take your hat off before doing this, a lesson we both learned the hard way. So after Ang doubled back to pick up our hats, we headed back to the cabin to call it a night.
Day two we loaded up canoes and went to the landing nearby on the Namekagon River. The water was super clear and we saw lots of carp along the way. I think we went about 9 miles before taking out again at the Trail Bridge Landing. Besides the large rock at the landing almost capsizing Don and Linda, we all made it back safely.
After a nice breakfast, we headed out to Loon Lake again for a final day of fishing. Ang caught another nice bass, picking up right where she left off. Don and I were both fishing shallow and I was having great luck bringing in bass with a top water popper lure, when disaster struck. As I went to remove the hook from my fish, he thrashed violently and sent a treble hook deep into my right thumb, past the barb. To make a long (rather painful) story short, we ended up making a trip to the ER to get it removed. Besides pain, I was feeling more angry with myself for not being more careful, and for putting everyone else out to take care of the situation.
The doctor poked me with a needle, numbed the area and went to work. I didn't have the stomach to watch, but after a few minutes the deed was done. After the hook was removed and we made it back to the cabin, Don was nice enough to take me right back out on the lake to finish our day of fishing. I even put that same type of lure right back in the water, scary hooks and all. I caught one final bass, removed the hooks safely and we called it a day.
We didn't end up driving home until the evening, which allowed us to miss all the traffic again and have a easy trip back home. In the end, it was a great weekend, full of of fun and full of lessons learned.

0 comments: