Copyright © Jam & Ang
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ignorance Is Your New Best Friend

One of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite bands is titled "Ignorance." Since it's release, it's taken on a whole new level of meaning, now that the lyrics have become a self-fulfilling prophecy to the band that wrote them. This band is Paramore, and they have since parted ways with their drummer and guitarist, one of many facts that a casual listener wouldn't even know about. But exactly when did I start calling myself more than a casual listener? I don't know, but it definitely happened. This sort of thing happens all the time in fact, and I really wish it didn't.
Whether it be a band, a sports team, a television show or what have you, slowly I become more and more invested into it, until, at length, I've taken my casual interest and turned it into something else. Less than obsession, but more than just interested. I blame the update-a-second society we live in, I blame Facebook, smart phones and every other social media outlet for making me info obsessed. And, I blame myself. However, everywhere you turn there is a rss feed to subscribe to, a page to bookmark, a link to click, a video to watch and a "like" button to click.
Sometimes I feel like the more read, subscribe, watch and "like" all these things, the worse off I become. Instead of just listening to a band because I enjoy their music, suddenly I find myself reading their Tweets about how much they love their new tattoo and how they could eat cereal for every meal. Do I really care about these things? No. It's then that I realize, I've lost my ability to just enjoy, because now I know too much, and there's no going back.
If I could just appreciate casually, if I could just stay a safe distance and form my own opinions free of social media influence, if I could just remember that ignorance is bliss.

0 comments: