Copyright © Jam & Ang
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hollywood Sucks: Part 6 (3D)

I returned last night from another underwhelming movie-going experience, this time seeing the highly regarded "Source Code." While the movie wasn't terrible, it didn't do much for me in the way of creativity or even a cheap thrill. I'm finding that most of the movies I watch are just as lack luster as the one before, with only a few exceptions. The machine in Hollywood keeps pumping out garbage and continuing to charge us more to see it, thanks to the wonder that is 3D. Speaking of that, I was rather glad to see that Pirates 4 is NOT going to be in 3D. However, it comes as little consolation if the movie ends up sucking ass and making me wish they hadn't even made it.
It seems apparent to me that the time for 2 hour "epic" movies has past. I find that Premium channel original series' and television sitcoms deliver more consistently and more originally than anything on the big screen. Who doesn't appreciate the bite-sized story arcs, the evolution of the characters, and the cliff-hanger moments. Not to mention, the obvious time/financial savings. And while not shown in 3D, at the Zoo Omnitheater, whilst eating $8 popcorn, overall I feel like they are a more personal, enjoyable experience.
The only thing keeping me away from the theater is time. It's the same reason I have to pre-order video games, the anticipation and the excitement makes it just too hard to resist. Alas, I'm giving in again this Friday and going to see Water For Elephants. As a well-documented circus history buff, and having read the book, I'm cautiously optimistic. Obviously, I haven't learned a thing from my experience.

0 comments: