Copyright © Jam & Ang
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Aftermath

It's been about 2 months since my last post. Just to recap, I had left my job at M (#1) to take a higher paying job (#2) with better benefits in Eden Prairie, only to have been let go less than one week later. The following is a recap of what's happened since then to the best of my recollection.

Job (#3) pretty much fell into my lap immediately after I lost my job. The gig was supposed to be doing Apple technical support for small, home-based company in Coon Rapids. On paper, it sounded like a great opportunity to make a career change, do something I was already good at and make ends meet. However, after 2 months of driving everywhere, not having consistent work to count on and zero benefits, I decided it just wasn't for me and started applying to jobs again (that was last Friday).

My next plan involved searching for a new, full-time job with benefits ASAP. Ideally, a job that was close to home, provided peace of mind and restored some normalcy to my life. So this week was supposed to spent unemployed, updating my resume and searching for jobs.

Late in the day Monday, I received a call-back from B+B (#4) and proceeded to do a phone interview. On Tuesday, I was interviewed, toured the office, and presented with a job offer. By the end of day yesterday I was officially hired at B+B, with a starting date TBD.

In the last 2 months, I've been an employee at 4 different companies. I've received a final paycheck from #1, a first and last paycheck from #2, a severance check from #2, a freelance check from #1, an unemployment check, and a first/last paycheck from #3. I've obtained two Apple certifications. It's been one hell of a ride but I'm ready to get off now, thank you.

My new job has a lot to be excited about. It's located right in St. Paul, so the "commute" is only 4.5 miles. The hours are 6:30am to 2:30pm M-F, so I'll have plenty of time to stop home, do a few things and still be on-time to pick up Cal. 
Perhaps the best part is it's a union job. I'll be starting as a ranking #2 in seniority (seniority is based on job level, not years of service). The other guy I'll be working with is #1, and he has been working there since 1971. I'll also have a pension for the first time in my career. Then, there are the little things like having a cubicle, air conditioning and a casual dress office environment.

I hope to eventually look back at this time and have a good laugh; maybe while sitting on a boat fishing for crappies, instead of sitting on the computer fishing for jobs.

0 comments: