Copyright © Jam & Ang
Design by Dzignine
Sunday, January 30, 2011

Reading My Reviews

It occurred to me today that I've read quite a few books lately and I haven't posted my thoughts on any of them. I didn't used to think of myself as much of a bookworm, but finding books on circus history really changed my ways. Here are a few of my reads of the last few months...


The Circus Fire: A True Story of an American Tragedy
This one really blew my away. Sure, I love reading about circus, but this book is less about the circus and more about the people and events surrounding the tragic fire in 1944 that left 167 people dead, 487 injured and many intriguing questions unanswered.
The book was impossible to put down; full of well-researched information and well put together. Photos are presented in limited number, however, they are extremely moving and I found myself examining them repeatedly the more I continued to read. Highly recommended.

Angel Time: The Songs of The Seraphim, Book One
I was told Anne Rice wrote good books (see: The Vampire Chronicles). However, this book was a complete snooze, and it promised so much more intrigue from the synopsis:
"Toby O’Dare—aka Lucky the Fox—is a contract killer of underground fame on assignment to kill once again. He’s a soulless soul, a dead man walking. His nightmarish world of lone and lethal missions is disrupted when a mysterious stranger, a seraph, offers him a chance to save rather than destroy lives.
What you end up with is a short read about an unbelievable contract killer, followed by a very long, tedious read about him changing on a dime and putting all his effort towards conflict resolution in the name of unbelievable angel. I found the entire affair very uninspired and I won't be picking the next book. Highly recommended. For me to poop on.

Stieg Larssons: Millennium Trilogy
Yes, I've read all three books. Yes, I believe they are worth all the hype. I've also watched all three of the movies, I even saw the second film in the theater. The bottom line is Lisbeth Salander is a very magnetic, readable character and I wouldn't have enjoyed the nearly as much without her. If you haven't read these books you need to, especially before the american film version comes out and we have another Twilight-Saga tween shit storm to deal with.

0 comments: